Beach "Petite Police"Mahé
The stunning old coral formations that line the beach are really unique to this area of the island, and provide a great contrast to many of the Seychelles’ other more ‘traditional’ beaches.
- 375m x 15m - often empty
- Deep water, unsafe for swimming - seaweed June to September
- Beach can disappear at high tide
- Wild beach on the southern tip of Mahé
- Excellent scenery - sometimes suitable for snorkelling
At a Glance:
- The smaller sister beach to the nearby Police Bay, and located on the southernmost tip of Mahé, the Seychelles’ largest island.
- Bus stop and parking are both available within walking distance.
- Shade provides protection from the sun.
- Generally unsafe for swimming due to the depth of the water.
- Great for snorkelling when the water is calm (a rare occurrence).
Petite Police is located on the southernmost-tip of the Seychelles’ largest island, Mahé, just along the coast from its larger sister Police Bay. The beach here is lined with old coral formations that somewhat cover the sand, creating a unique spectacle, but rendering the beach itself unsuitable for children, as the coral can be sharp. This fact, plus the deep water that laps the shores of the beach, means that Petite Police is often empty. Getting to Petite Police is simple, as there is parking available at the beach. In terms of public transport, the nearest bus stop is at Anse Bazzarca, which is located just along the coast from Petite Police, so this is also an option. Finally, there are a few hotels located within walking distance, although very few visitors come on foot to this beach. The beach itself is fairly unsuitable for any activities, and venturing into the water is generally too dangerous to even consider. That said, the beach is occasionally calm, and during these moments, the underwater scenery is well worth exploring with a snorkelling mask. Most of the time, however, this is simply a beach for scenery, with the mixture of the old coral and the small pools that appear on the beach providing a uniquely appealing sight. This is also a great beach for photography for the same reason, with Petite Police providing a stark contrast to some of the Seychelles’ other beaches. It can be hard to see the appeal of Petite Police until you get there, as on paper the beach has little to offer anyone. However, the unique scenery here provides a great contrast to the pristine golden beaches elsewhere in the Seychelles, making it a nice change for those spending a long vacation in the country.