Beach "Baie Ternay"Mahé
The beautiful views, the isolated feeling, and the wonderful biodiversity on show here are all highlights of Baie Ternay.
- 400m x 30m - often empty
- Shallow water - sharp drop-off 300m from shore
- Small waves - seaweed June to September
- Nature-friendly beach in the Baie Ternay Marine Park
- Good for swimming, snorkelling, and fishing
At a Glance:
- Beautiful beach with great views, located in the Baie Ternay Marine Park on Mahé.
- Good for families thanks to the shallow water and small waves.
- Sharp drop-off about 300m from shore.
- Shade provides protection from the sun.
- Closest amenities are at the Constance Ephelia Resort or at Port Launay, along the coast in the Port Launay National Park.
Baie Ternay is a mid-sized beach on the west coast of Mahé. The views here extend over the beautiful ocean and across to Silhouette Island, about 20km away, across the water. The beach is also a good spot for sunset views, while the biodiversity here is another real highlight. Getting to the beach isn’t too difficult. There is no parking or bus stop next to the beach, so visitors must arrive on-foot. That said, the closest space for parking your car is just five minutes’ walk away, so this shouldn’t be too much trouble. The beach is a part of the Baie Ternay national park, which offers a few beautiful beaches and stunning scenery. The park is particularly popular amongst snorkellers and scuba divers thanks to its thriving underwater scenery. The beach itself offers shallow, protected water, ensuring it is safe for families and unconfident swimmers. The drop off isn’t too close to the shore, around 300m out, but it is rather sharp, so anyone swimming far from shore should be careful not to stray beyond this point. The calm ocean surface provides excellent conditions for swimming and snorkelling, while it is also possible to try out a spot of fishing in the area. Finally, the beach is ideal for photographers thanks to the beautiful colours visible here, as well as the views of the sunset in the evening, and of Silhouette Island to the north-west. A much-loved beach thanks to its beautiful scenery, Baie Ternay is nonetheless often deserted, so you can really feel like you’re completely isolated here, great for those wanting a quiet, scenic day at the beach. Don’t let the lack of parking or bus-stop put you off; the closest facilities are just five or ten minutes’ walk along the coast, so you’re never too far from amenities including shops and the Constance Ephelia resort, perfect for a day at the beach.